As you may have seen from earlier announcements, the Libraries acquired a new resource list management system in 2020 – Leganto by Ex Libris. Course Reserves, both print and electronic, are now managed through the Leganto platform, which integrates with both the library catalog and Blackboard to streamline Course Reserves for our faculty and students.
With Leganto, faculty can collect and organize a wide range of content – from library resources to YouTube videos – in a dynamic and user-friendly add-on to their course. Advantages to using Leganto include:
- Instructors can search the library catalog, link directly to resources within the library catalog or elsewhere, and upload their own documents to the platform
- Course materials can be saved and reused in other courses or in future semesters
- Lists, once published, are automatically added to Blackboard course navigation so that students have easy access to the materials
What about the Course Reserves system I’m used to?
While reading lists are still available in Blackboard courses, the previous course reserves system will be retired at the close of the Spring 2021 semester. Beginning in Summer 2021, all course reserves requests will need to be submitted via Leganto. Should you wish to explore the new system, it is available for you to use now as a tool in Blackboard.
How can I learn more?
The Libraries has created a new guide to help you get started with Leganto. Within this resource guide, you can find links to a Quick Guide, video tutorials, and contact information for library staff should you have questions.
Additionally, the Libraries will be hosting virtual drop-in hours over Zoom (attendees must use their Mason e-mail address to join the meeting) for those with questions about Leganto on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, January 19, 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, January 19, 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 20, 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 20, 2 p.m.
- Thursday, January 21, 10 a.m.
- Thursday, January 21, 4 p.m.
- Friday, January 22, 1 p.m.
- Friday, January 22, 2 p.m.
- Monday, January 25, 10 a.m.
- Monday, January 25, 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, January 27, 3 p.m.
- Thursday, January 27, 4 p.m.