The Visiting Writers Series goes virtual! Mason’s Creative Writing Program, along with the Libraries and Fall for the Book, has announced the lineup for the Fall 2020 Visiting Writers Series, featuring two writers each in fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. Writers will meet for virtual afternoon workshops with students from Mason’s MFA program in creative writing and will then participate in virtual programs that same evening—open to the public and combining brief readings and conversation with hosts from Mason’s creative writing community. All evening programs will begin at 7 p.m.
The first event of the semester will feature Robin Hemley, in conversation with Professor Tim Denevi. Hemley’s latest book, Borderline Citizen: Dispatches from the Outskirts of Nationhood, focuses on his journey across the world, and the way such a trip impacts the mind of the traveler. Part of the Fall for the Book Festival, the event will take place on Thursday, September 17, at 7 p.m. via Crowdcast.
Future events include:
- Thursday, September 24: Joan Naviyuk Kane (poetry), in conversation with Mason MFA student Ana Pugatch and BFA alum Eli Vandegrift
- Thursday, October 8: Marjan Kamali (fiction), in conversation with Professor Courtney Brkic—Part of the Fall for the Book Festival
- Thursday, October 22: Dan Beachy-Quick (poetry), in conversation with Professor Sally Keith —Part of the Fall for the Book Festival
- Thursday, November 5: Michele Morano (nonfiction), in conversation with Professor Kyoko Mori
- Thursday, November 12: Laura Sims (fiction), in conversation with Professor Courtney Brkic