The VIVA Steering Committee met on Thursday, June 10, and Friday, June 11, 2010, and via email vote concluding June 25. I am sorry for the delay in relaying all of this news, but we have been completing several negotiations.
These are the highlights of the meetings:
1. The March 4, 2010, Steering Committee meeting minutes were approved.
2. The Steering Committee approved the following renewals:a. ACM Digital Library
c. LN Congressional
d. Mergent Online and Horizon
e. Oxford English Dictionary
f. EconLit (ProQuest)
g. Factiva (ProQuest)
h. PAIS (ProQuest)
i. Safari Tech Books (ProQuest)
3. The Steering Committee unanimously approved award of the RFP to the American Psychological Association. This contract includes the following products:
a. PsycINFO for all public institutions (paid out of central funds) and the 32 private nonprofit colleges and universities participating in the Pooled Funds Program.
b. PsycARTICLES for all VIVA public and private institutions choosing to participate using their local funds.
c. PsycBooks for all public institutions (paid out of central funds) and all private nonprofit colleges choosing to participate with local funds. (This is the subscription to approximately 2000 books, with new titles added after a 12-18 month embargo period).
d. In addition, there are excellent discounts for APA eBooks (purchase model for current ebooks), PsycCRITIQUES, and PsycEXTRA.
4. The Steering Committee unanimously approved the cancellation of these 5 nursing journals on the OVID platform: American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, AORN Journal, Geriatric Nursing, Journal of Emergency Nursing, andNursing Education Perspectives.
5. The Steering Committee unanimously approved the renewal of the LWW Total Access package for a five-year period with the cost sharing plan for the public institutions. The Steering Committee requested a review of the cost sharing allocations at the 3-year mark to allow for changes in institutional programs and funding.
6. The Steering Committee unanimously approved the cancellation of the Blackwell Synergy Collection at the end of the current contract year, December 31, 2010, and issued this statement:
The Virtual Library of Virginia (VIVA) announces that despite discussions over a 7-month period, it has not reached a satisfactory conclusion to negotiations with Wiley for the Blackwell Synergy Journal Collection.
For four years, VIVA subscribed to the Blackwell Synergy Journal Collection, a core group of journals ranked highly by our members. Wiley’s acquisition of Blackwell has created a larger collection at a much larger total price, but one that our members did not value as highly and which our members were not able to support. Efforts to identify a smaller collection of desired titles were not successful in achieving a sustainable price, particularly important given the current economic crisis and the uncertainties of our members’ future funding. As a consequence, the VIVA contract for the Blackwell Synergy Journal Collection will end at the conclusion of the existing contract period on December 31, 2010.
VIVA remains dedicated to leveraging available funds and pursuing alternative resources for the VIVA institutions.
7. The Steering Committee approved a new subscription on a cost sharing basis to the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses – Full Text product. [Note: We are working on a September 1, 2010, subscription start date.]
8. The Steering Committee approved funds for regional training sessions for late July or early August to help our members become familiar with the APA interface. [Note: the meetings are tentatively set to take place from 10 – noon, at these dates and places: Tuesday, July 27, Hollins College, Roanoke; Wednesday, July 28, University of Richmond, Richmond; Thursday, July 29, Tidewater Community College, Virginia Beach; and TBD, Northern Virginia. More information will be forthcoming.]
The minutes are being reviewed at this time and will be posted when they are complete.
No Comments yet »
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.