Congratulations to the following library faculty/staff for their service to George Mason University and/or the Commonwealth of Virginia. The awards will be presented next week at the University Day Service Awards celebrations on April 10 (5-15 years of service) and April 11 (20 and more years of service).
- Kathleen Butler, Sciences and Technology Team & Mercer Library
- Samara Carter, Special Collections Research Center
- Raquel Duron, Social Sciences Team & Arlington Campus Library
- Jo Ann Henson, Social Sciences Team & Arlington Campus Library
- Helen McManus, Social Sciences Team & Arlington Campus Library
- Genya O’Gara, Virtual Library of Virginia
- Anne Osterman, Virtual Library of Virginia
- Michelle Polchow, Technical Services Group
- Elyse Becker, Gateway Library
- Theresa Calcagno, Sciences and Technology Team & Mercer Library
- Jennifer Hamilton, Technical Services Group
- Nicholas Hofmann, Access Services
- Wendy Mann, Digital Scholarship Center
- Janna Mattson, Gateway Library
- Beth Roszkowski, Social Sciences Team & Arlington Campus Library
- Shannon Hogya, Sciences and Technology Team & Mercer Library
- Lara Bushallow, Systems Group
- Phat Le, Systems Group
- John Walsh, Office of the Dean of Libraries and University Librarian
- Wally Grotophorst, Office of the Dean of Libraries and University Librarian
- Wendy Lim, Resource Acquisition, Technical Services Group
Congratulations to Maoria Kirker, Mason Libraries’ Instruction and Assessment Coordinator, recognized by the organizers of the annual Charleston Conference for her promising achievements and contributions to the library profession. Selected as one of twenty “Up & Comers”, Maoria will be profiled in the December/January issue of Against the Grain (ATG,) and will also be interviewed for an upcoming ATG Media podcast.
Congratulations to Izzie Hunsberger, Reference, Instruction and Technology Specialist, Teaching & Learning Services, RES, who will receive the University’s Exceptional Support Award on November 2, 2017. The award ceremony will be held in Dewberry Hall, Johnson Center, at 10:30 a.m.
As stated on Mason’s Human Resources website, the Exceptional Support Award recognizes “employees who provide excellent support are the backbone of Mason; they provide the strength for their department and the University to grow and prosper. They are often the “go-to” person in their department providing excellent customer service and ensuring that the functions and operations of their department run smoothly.” Up to ten awards are given annually by Human Resources.
We are delighted to announce that two of our Libraries’ faculty members – Janna Mattson (Instructional and Social Sciences Librarian) and Michael English (Online Learning Coordinator and Instructional Librarian) – were selected to receive the prestigious H.W. Wilson Library Staff Development Grant, administered by the American Library Association (ALA).
Janna and Michael’s proposal, “13 Things in Blackboard: A Self-paced Online Learning Professional Development Program,” aims to foster Mason Libraries’ faculty/staff knowledge and collaboration in supporting online education.
Please see the press release from the ALA – the award will be presented on Sunday, June 25 at the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago – and also join us in congratulating Janna and Michael on their successful initiative, which directly aligns their program with George Mason University’s strategic plan.