The Libraries is pleased to announce a new program designed to support the pursuit of excellent graduate research at George Mason University – the Mason Libraries Graduate Student Fellow Program. This program is made possible by the generosity of many donors (including alumni, friends, and university faculty and staff) who contributed to the creation of the Libraries’ new Student Research Endowment, with the initial challenge gift coming from the members of the Libraries Advisory Board.
The Graduate Student Fellowship will be awarded annually to a graduate student currently pursuing their master or doctoral degree at George Mason University and conducting research for their Thesis or Dissertation. One fellowship of $2,500 may be awarded for the 2022-23 academic year. In addition to award funds, the student fellow will be assigned a dedicated graduate study carrel in Fenwick Library for their use during the academic year in which they receive the award. The fellowship is for one academic year, and is not renewable.
Awarded funds may be used for expenditures related to conference attendance and/or travel for research related to the student’s research project; may be applied to student’s account for academic expenses; or may be designated towards acquisition of library research materials and/or digital infrastructure and tools needed for the student’s specific research project.
Criteria and Eligibility
- Current master or doctoral degree student at George Mason University in any formally advanced field of study conducting Thesis or Dissertation level research.
- In good academic standing with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.5.
- Demonstrate exemplary research skills and proposed utilization of the Libraries’ services, resources, and expertise for master or doctoral level research project.
- Thesis Proposal or Dissertation Abstract.
- Statement of interest (minimum 750 words) addressing the role of the Libraries resources in the applicant’s research plans; proposed use of funding (i.e. travel for research or conference plans; research materials or tools to be acquired; etc.); and expected outcomes.
- Brief curriculum vita.
- Academic Transcript (unofficial accepted).
- Letter of Support from George Mason University department chair or graduate coordinator in the applicant’s field of study (submitted separately via e-mail to email@example.com).
Applications must be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m., Monday, June 27, 2022. Late applications will not be accepted.
Graduate student fellowship applications will be reviewed by a selection committee appointed by the Dean of Libraries and University Librarian. The selected recipient will be notified prior to the start of the fall semester.
Requirements of the Fellow
All library research materials and/or digital tools acquired on behalf of the Graduate Student Fellow will remain the property of the University Libraries. At the conclusion of their fellowship year, the recipient will submit a brief report of their accomplishments during the fellowship.